College Advisory Program
Tonka United's College Advisory Program is a free resource for all players that are interested in pursuing collegiate soccer. We understand that finding the right college for a player can be an overwhelming process. Through providing a multi-pronged approach, our College Advisory Program will help inspire, educate, and support players in achieving their goal of becoming a collegiate student-athlete. It is our objective to help each player reach their highest potential, whether that is DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, or Junior College. We also believe that college is a significant next step in our young people’s lives and our ultimate goal is to help our players find the best fit – a place that aligns with their academic interests and an experience that prepares them for the disciplines and demands of life after soccer.
- College Soccer 101 – Overview of information regarding the landscape of collegiate soccer, the differences between each division/level of play, and NCAA rules & regulations
- “A Path of Your Own” Panel - There is no single pathway for becoming a collegiate athlete. A panel of former collegiate players will share their own experiences around their recruitment and collegiate careers.
- Key Phases of Recruitment – Understand how to develop a list of potential schools and key timelines/milestones from freshman year through senior year
- Initiating & Maintaining Contact – How to reach out, connect, and be seen by collegiate coaches
Players will have access to an online library of in-depth resources regarding the recruitment process, having what it takes to get admitted to college, finding the right college fit, and playing college soccer. Subject matters will include the following:
- Which Division is Right for You?
- Financial Aid Basics
- How to Research Schools and Programs
- How to Write a College Coach – Email/Resume Templates
- NCAA Recruiting Rules & Regulations
- Making the Most Out of Your Campus Visit
We provide the opportunity players to sit down with our College Advisor to discuss their personal goals and develop an individualized plan. We offer this personalized service free of charge for any player within our club. Our College Advisor will assist in developing a plan that closely aligns with each player’s interests, ability, and long-term goals.
- Academic Interests – What is your GPA and ACT scores? What is your passion and/or subjects of interest?
- Athletic Experience – What level can you play at? How much time and energy are you willing to commit to soccer while in college?
- Location & Size – Where do you want to live geographically? Do you like a large student population or a smaller setting?
- Financial Needs – Do you need a scholarship? Can it be an academic scholarship?
Dave Golan is currently the Program Manager for the Sanneh Foundation’s College Prep Program. In addition to his work with The Sanneh Foundation, Golan is a developmental scout for US Soccer and evaluates players for the US 14–20 Youth Men’s National Teams. His wife, Stefanie, is the head coach at the University of Minnesota. Dave is an alumni of the University of South Carolina where he played D1 collegiate soccer. During his time there, the Gamecocks were ranked nationally in the Top 25 and participated in the College Cup his senior year, losing in the national semifinals. As a coach, Golan was a D1 men’s assistant and head coach at the University of South Carolina, Appalachian State and the University of Evansville. On the women’s side, he is a former D1 assistant at the United States Military Academy at West Point. Dave holds a USSF ‘A’ License and United Soccer Coaches Advanced National Diploma.